Wednesday, November 24, 2010

ITS DONE!

So I finished the table.

I am actually pretty happy with it. I spent from about 2:00 yesterday to about 6:00 today working on the darn thing but I am happy. I did a gray table with black stain. I started by priming it with KILZ primer. I did two coats of that, then I primed all the chairs. I painted one coat on the table of the gray before going to bed last night. I did not like the color when I woke up so I added a little white and a little gray from my little stash of acrylic paint. Then I went to work! I did another coat on the table, then painted all the chairs twice. This took really long. I think if I had to do it again I would have used spray paint. Unfortunately, I could not spray paint yesterday because Utah decided to have a blizzard and it was probably 15 degrees in my garage. So, I hand painted the whole thing. After I was done I took a black stain and rubbed it in, then I used a damp cloth to wipe most of it off and just leave it in the crevices, corners, and cracks. Once I got this technique down it was pretty fast moving. Then I took a polyacrylic finish and painted everything with that. This just gives it a finish to protect it. It dried really quickly and hardly had any fumes. I started next on recovering the chairs. I picked the material because it had red and black (most of the colors in my living room), gray (the color I wanted to do my table in), and yellow (my most recent fav color). It tied everything and I love it. In case you are super attentive, it is the same material used in my skirt from a couple of posts ago. I just really like it!

First people to see and use them you ask......... Tim's YM came over to play video games. None of them really appreciated it! haha

sorry for all the pictures.... I loaded all the ones I took while working on it.


Here is the before picture in case you did not see my last post


after the second coat of primer


hehe, this is the blizzard that hit when I was trying to finish priming the chairs. I could not keep the windows and doors open for ventilation because the snow was blowing inside!


This is when I was trying to get the glaze/stain to work

























2 comments:

A said...

Nikki this is beautiful! I love how you reupholstered them! Awesome job.

smaz said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! The chair fabric is so stinking cute and so totally Nikki Marie. Love you!