Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Skirts!

So a couple of months ago I decided a really really wanted a sewing machine. I did not know why I wanted it. I just wanted it. Did i know what I was going to make with it once I got it..... nope! So Tim thought this would be a good oportunity to bribe me. He said "if you go wait in the student aid line (for school), then you can get your sewing machine". The reason he said this.... because that is the worst line in the history of lines and he knew I would stop putting it off and go if he just bribed me. Sad... but sometimes that is the best way to motivate me. Today he bribed me that if I did all the laundry while he was gone and cleaned the kitchen that I could "craft" or at least that is what he calls it

craft VERB(in my case) /kraft/:
To spend lots of money buying things to make at home. Normally takes time away from cleaning and laundry. However, is lots more fun than cleaning and laundry, and can range from knitting christmas stocking, to YW handouts, to painting, and sewing. (this list is not inclusive).

anyways, eventually I got my sewing machine. I had been stewing what to make for a couple days leading up to the purchase. Sometimes when I am falling asleep or waking up I get ideas on things that I can make. This used to actually happen to Einstein too. Now, I am not saying I am Einstein by any means... but it is a proven fact that is when the idea part of our brains is most active. In fact, Einstein used to lay on a cot in his lab and hold a rock in his hand. He then would start thinking about things so he could get ideas. If he fell asleep the rock would drop and wake him up. He claims that this is where he go the idea for electricity. cool huh... Ok sorry for the history lesson but I think that he is brilliant. I try to stay awake a little longer and I never get out of bed immediately after waking up either. This is my thinking time. I don't normally think of projects but sometimes they come and that is where I get some of my best ideas. Weird ... I hope I did not lose all my readers right there (if I do in fact have readers)!

Well, I got an idea for a skirt. My most favorite skirts are the ones with the jersey knit on the top instead of an elastic or a zipper. They don't give any lines, and are just as cute as a zipper or elastic waisted skirt. I had seem some really cute chunky floral fabric and I wanted to make a skirt from it, then put a hem with the main color from the fabric. These are what I made... the night I got my sewing machine. I was just a little excited....



If you want the directions for these just leave a comment or facebook me. They are not hard, really! A great first or second project for beginners. Also, there is some really cute fabric out there. That is almost the best part of making them is getting to go pick out fabric. They are super easy and thrifty though... so easy we taught all the YW in my ward to make them for one of their Person Progress projects. My whole ward now has them, needless to say. Don't get me wrong though.. I am not mad that we all have them. I love that we are making the world a little cuter, one woman at time.

EASY PROJECT OF THE DAY



A cheap way to decorate for fall (they are just paper). I used my cricut to cut these but you could also just trace them and cut them out, or have you kids help you cut them too. Just make sure you use lots of different colors. You really could do this for any holiday or season. You could do christmas trees, bunnies, hearts, stars, and so on. You could also buy the fake leaves from michaels or roberts as well.



1 comment:

Aimie said...

Nikki - I want directions on those skirts!!! :D