Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sorry this took so long!

Hey Bloggers, Sorry it has taken so long to post. I had a super busy christmas. On thanksgiving my Mom and Dad gave a challenge. Underneath our Thanksgiving plate was a crisp 100 dollar bill with a charge to take the hundred dollars and do something to increase the money. Then use the money to donate to a christmas charity. I was so excited.... I could barely sleep that night, even with the help of the turkey. What would Tim and I do to make this $100.00 and turn it into something more. Lets go back a few steps..... every year, instead of getting my parents a Christmas present we take the money that we would have spent on a Christmas present and spend it on a charity. Then on Christmas morning we write down what we did and put it in an envelope and stick it in the tree. They are the last things opened Christmas morning and it is everybody's favorite part of Christmas. All my siblings get in on it and we all do something different but meaningful. That is why this project was going to be so fun. Normally Tim and I only have $100.00 to give but this year we had an awesome opportunity to give more.

As you might remember from previous posts, I had started making these:



So this is what Tim and I decided to do with our $100.00. We got to work right away making a website where people could buy them. We decided to just do christmas ones. We wanted to do 40 boards.... sold at $20.00 a piece. We ended up selling 25 for $20.00 a piece. Exactly $500.00. This was by far one of the best christmas's I have ever had because of the help we were able to give. I would love to tell all of you what we did with the money but the people that we gave to might just be reading this post. I can tell you this much. We were able to help three awesome families. One of the families we went in with my little brother Wesley and my little sister Paula. They were able to come up with $400.00 on there own and we gave $100.00 to donate to a family in my parents ward. All together my siblings and I were able to raise over $1600.00 to benefit families from West Jordan to Salt Lake, to Logan. It was so fun! Here are some pictures from the process.....











Yes.... they were all over my house. This was all but a handful of them.

3 comments:

A said...

Nikki this is amazing and thanks for sharing! The boards are so fun and lovely!

Jillyan said...

I'm really sad I wasn't able to help you out and buy one. If you do something like this next year...count me in! That is unless Rob gets laid off for the 3rd Christmas season in a row :)

amanda said...

What an amazing tradition! I would love to do something like that with my kids if I ever have money when they're older. Haha.

Your boards are so dang cute.